Rick’s practice is focused on providing general counsel to closely held businesses and client representation before the IRS, state and local tax authorities. In over 30 years of practicing law and counseling clients Rick has been involved in numerous mergers and acquisitions including transactions involving multinational companies and organizations. He has worked with small, mid-size and large companies on every aspect of business law:
- Commercial transactions
- Contract law
- Entity formations
- Shareholder succession planning
- Corporate strategic alliances
- Taxation issues relative to compliance and taxpayer disputes
- Employment agreements
- Intellectual property
Practicing Law Differently
Working with clients, offering the expertise required for them to succeed, has been Rick’s passion since law school. After 30 years as a very successful attorney in the very large law firm setting, Rick wanted to practice a bit differently. He wanted to offer big firm expertise and interact with clients to build long-term relationships.
In 2015, Rick and long-time friend and colleague Tim Mitchell founded Gerber & Mitchell LLC. They wanted to build a firm that offered the highest levels of expertise without the structured layers inherent in large law firms and to create a more client-centric culture typically found in a smaller platform.
Rick and Tim purchased one of the oldest buildings in Downtown Dublin, Ohio. Once the Black Horse Inn, the newly renovated home of G&M is part of Dublin’s exciting Bridge Street District Corridor.
A key component of the new firm’s plan is to maintain an active presence in the community where business and industry are expanding and in which entrepreneurs are supported. A core value of G&M is to be actively involved in the community.
As a two-term member of Dublin City Council and Vice Mayor of Council, Rick chaired the Administrative Committee, served on the Finance Committee and significantly participated in the Bridge Street District Corridor development. Through these experiences he developed a deep understanding of how businesses can best navigate the sometimes complex structure of city governments. Today Rick represents business owners and developers regarding local government relations, land use and other regulatory issues.
He is committed to the ongoing and dynamic growth in Dublin, and believes that Dublin is the most exciting, innovative economic leader in Central Ohio, creating jobs and business opportunities in healthcare, technology industries and energy.
Professional Recognition & Affiliations
- Named a Top business lawyer by Business First
- AV Preeminent rating – highest attainable certification from Martindale-Hubbell
- Columbus Bar Association – member of Professional Ethics Committee
- American Bar Association – member of Business & Tax Committees
- Ohio State Bar Association
Military & Civic Affiliations
- Veteran of the U.S. Air Force
- Board member for the State of Ohio Veterans Hall of Fame
- President Historic Dublin Business Association
- Dublin City Council, 2008 – 2015
- Dublin Citizens Police Academy, 2013
- Dublin AM Rotary
- The Ohio State University, JD
- Capital University Law School, Master of Laws
- The Ohio State University, BS in Marketing and Finance